Sunday, September 27, 2009

Trip to Mexico (Saturday 9-26 & Sunday 9-27)

Saturday
Today we traveled to Calkini, Campeche from Merida, Yucatan which is about an hour drive (sort of like it is from LV to Logandale). Since our visit was a surprise to everyone it was kinda fun and nerve wrecking showing up at the party (my niece´s & aunt´s b-day & family reunion).

Seeing everyone´s faces when they saw us was great. No one imagined we would show up, especially when it isn´t vacation time. I was so happy to see my uncles, aunts, nieces, nephews & even my father. For some reason this time I was very emotional about the whole ordeal, not sure why but all my weird emotions were worth it at the end. At last I was here with everyone and was enjoying every second of it.

We got there and immediately cooked the meal. Of course they already had most of it done but my mom obviously couldn´t be without cooking her specialty (carne asada and also ribs with a special family recipe) YUMM-O! ... *Beware, I will be using this word often since all I do is eat when I´m down here and all I eat is delicious food.*

Most of our day was spent at my cousin´s house where the party was being held and I had so much fun. We just ate, told jokes and enjoyed each other´s company all afternoon. I wish I had pictures to show you but unfortunately I don´t...you will all just have to wait til I get back to see them.

Alex also enjoyed it but I don´t think she´s enjoying the heat too much, she gets kind of mad midday and starts fussing but I try to get her in the room with AC and make her go to sleep which she fights until she can´t stay up any longer. Everyone is loving her and she is being held a lot (her grandfather even held her, yeah I was shocked!) which I know is going to kill me when we get back...oh well!


Sunday
Easy day...we got up late, had breakfast at my aunt´s (where we´re staying) and around 1pm we headed over to another aunt´s house to have lunch with them. See all we do here is eat, eat, eat! :)

We headed back to Merida just in time to head out again. My cousin Tanya had a concert at one of the small towns in Yucatan (Motul). She plays the percussions in the Orquesta Sinfonica de Yucatan and we had to attend the concert. I hadn´t heard play in a while... it was really good! I enjoyed but it also made miss my dancing years....sooooo much! While I was there I kept thinking of how much talent there is in my family and how music runs through our blood, so grateful for that!

That was about all we did today. Just enjoyed a cultural and relaxing day with my aunt and cousin.

Come back for more on our Adventures in Merida....

0 comments: